one of the most beautiful castles in Greece
Palamidi is one of the most beautiful castles in Greece, the largest and best preserved fortress complex of Venetian rule. The castle was completed in just three years to serve the military and naval operations of the Venetians at the time.
The construction of the fortress took place on the days of the Venetian General Inspector of the Fleet, Augustus Sagredos, from 1711 to 1714, making the fortification a real achievement both in terms of fortification and in terms of construction speed.
The engineers Giaxich and Lasalle designed a fortress based on a system of mutually supportive and mutually reinforcing bastions, which were deployed stepwise on the axis of West-East and were connected to each other by walls. The eight bastions of the castle were self-contained, so if one of them was to be occupied, the defense would continue by the others.
The fortress follows the natural line of the hill and becomes one with the scenery around it, respecting the space and the purpose it has undertaken to serve.
Being kept in excellent condition it is one of the most important achievements of the Venetian fortification architecture.
The Palamidi hill, which owes its name to the Homeric hero Palamedes, does not appear to have been systematically fortified until the second Venetian domination.